Square-Enix posted a forum post about projected updates for Final Fantasy XIV’s Chat Log for version 1.18a. Note that these updates are subject to change as they are still under development.
- The log will automatically be hidden at the following times:
- during event cutscenes
- while the main map is open
* The log will remain if a tab is active when a cutscene begins or the main map is opened.
- Once hidden, the log will reappear at the following times:
- an Open chat prompt command is input (Space bar, slash (/) key, Ctrl+S, etc.)
- Configuration » Chat Log appears in the active log tab. (This does not apply when the active tab is the battle tab.)
* The log will be hidden after being inactive for a period of 5 seconds.
- Default log settings will be changed to the following:
- Two logs will be displayed. The second tab of the first log will be inactive, and the first tab of the second log will be active.
- Log size will be adjusted.
- Log transparency will be adjusted.
* The above settings are applied whenever the game is launched, or upon selecting the Restore Defaults option under Configuration » Chat Log.
* The above settings are not applied when saved log configuration data is present.